FIP is pleased to bring you announcements of events, meetings and workshops around the world concerning pharmacy practice, the pharmaceutical sciences and global health. For more information on a particular event please click the associated link.
Combatting Malaria: New horizon of vaccines and drug discovery by young pharmaceutical scientists
Malaria is responsible for approximately 400 thousand deaths annually, resulting in an enormous public health burden on many of the tropical and subtropical countries. Although projects are ongoing in WHO, pharmaceutical companies and foundations, basic university-based research is also essential against for treatment and drug resistance in malaria. Engagement of young pharmaceutical scientists in the field is necessary to overcome this situation.
In this event, young PI and early carrier scientists / PhD students related to this scientific subject will be invited as speaker. Dr Eizo Takashima, Ehime University, Japan was invited as a speaker for preliminary lecture, and provide opportunity for young scientists to discuss about the science of malaria.
- Describe the development of malaria vaccine candidates.
- Defineseroepidemiology of malaria
- Recognize how early carrier pharmaceutical scientists can be involved in research on drug and vaccine development of malaria.
- Takuya Kumamoto, SIG NM Chair, Prof Hiroshima University, Japan
- Rebecka Isaksson, NGPS SIG Chair, Postdoctoral Research Associate UCL Department of Chemistry, UK
- Dr Eizo Takashima,Associate Professor, Ehime University, Japan
- Dr Wei-Chiao Huang, Post-doc State University of New York at Buffalo, US
- Dr Takaya Sakura, Assistant Professor Department of Molecular Infection Dynamics, Institute of Tropical Medicine (NEKKEN), Nagasaki University, Japan
- Khalid Garba Mohammed, Lecturer, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria